For companies wondering whether to utilize OSHCON or a qualified 3rd party OSHA consulting firm in Texas, we have created this brief blog post to summarize the pros and cons of OSHCON’s audit services.
OSHCON must prioritize their assistance as follows:
o Required to service small business first (less than 250 employees_
o Typical 6-8 month waiting time
o Often times companies with more than 200 employees will never get inspected.
o One time, or annual audit event:
- NO ONGOING SUPPORT OTHER THAN ON-LINE RESOURCES AND ORDERING SAFETY TRAINING DVDS.
- COMPANY MUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO COMPLY AND MANAGE RECOMMENDATIONS.
- OSCHCON CANNOT AND WILL NOT HELP SMALL COMPANIES MANAGE OSHA COMPLIANCE OR RECOMMENDED CORRECTIVE ACTIONS
Typical scope of OSHCON audits:
- Primarily just identifies hazards, limited recommendations:
- Doesn’t offer detailed corrective action recommendations. They will offer recommendations but not many and not detailed.
- Primarily focusses on “A”/Serious findings/violations, and not necessarily less hazardous findings (B and C).
- Up to company to figure out how to implement corrective action.
- DON’T FOLLOW UP ON CORRECTIVE ACTIONS SO COMPANY HAS NO WAY OF KNOWING IF THEY’RE CORRECTIVE ACTION IS CORRECT.
- OSHCON FINDINGS CAN DIFFER FROM ENFORCEMENT FINDINGS, AND SO OSHCON AUDIT DOESN’T GUARANTEE THAT ENFORCEMENT WON’T FIND VIOLATIONS.
o OSHCON often doesn’t audit “administrative” requirements:
- Written Programs
- Safety training records
- Confirmation that program is being implemented with workforce
- No employee interviews
Also note that companies who agree to utilize OSHCON MUST IMPLEMENT ALL CORRECTIVE ACTIONS WITHIN 2 WEEKS AND MANAGE THEM ON AN ONGOING, WEEKLY AND MONTHLY BASIS. BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MOST COMPANIES FAIL TO DO.
Don’t get me wrong, OSCHON is a great resource, but companies must understand that their services are very limited, doesn’t guarantee OSHA compliance and using OSHCON does not protect the company from OSHA enforcement efforts.
Learn more about what OSHA requires of Texas companies call 512-457-0374 or email firstname.lastname@example.org